Friday, July 9, 2010

Ready to go!

For once, I am not being a last minute packer. Those of you who have seen or talked me on the days I am moving to and home from (especially home from) school, before Spring break, or most other trips know that I tend be somewhat of a mess on these occasions. For some reason, no matter how early I try to start packing, I seem to be rushing to finish. It seems, however, that this will not be the case this time. Both of my suitcases are almost entirely packed. Everything that isn't packed is assembled and ready to be packed. I am taking care of last minute details, and by the time it is time to leave for the airport tomorrow afternoon, I should be ready. Maybe this will be a new trend!

My first order of business upon arrival will be to attend SCENE (Sydney Congress Embracing the New Evangelization), which is put on by the Archdiocese of Sydney. On Tuesday-Thursday, the days are filled with talks and workshops. On Monday-Thursday nights, there is a choice of three different pub talks being given at pubs around the city. The Congress concludes with "Mercy Night" on Friday evening, which will include adoration and reconciliation. I'm not sure exactly which sessions I'll be going to on all the different days, but I know which Pub Talk I'll be going to on Thursday night! My host, Jessica, and Daniel Hill, the gentlemen from the University of Sydney chaplaincy with whom I've been corresponding, will both be speaking at the same one! Hard choice, right?

The Description:

Worth the wait?

Star Bar (600 George Street, Sydney)

What’s wrong with living together before marriage? Hear young people share the challenges and blessings of making the decision to wait.

Jessica Langrell, Jeremy Ambrose, Daniel & Jane Hill

Jessica (single, organiser of Theology on Tap), Jeremy (currently dating, Catechumenate Office Archdiocese of Sydney), Daniel and Jane (married couple, Daniel is responsible for the Catholic university chaplaincies in Sydney, Jane is a recent convert to Catholicism and a practicing Optician).


If you are interested in the other things going on during SCENE week, check out the Congree Program here: http://www.scene.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=4

This morning I learned a new Australian word: arvo. It means "afternoon," and I think its pronounced AHR-vo. I was picking up a map of Sydney at a bookstore and found it while looking through a book called Living Abroad in Australia. I had seen Jessica use it before, but I never knew what it meant. I think its a pretty great word, and even if its awkward for me to use it while I'm in Australia, maybe I'll find excuses to use it as often as possible when I am back in Rhode Island.

The next time I write, I'll probably be en route to or in Sydney. That will be pretty awesome because, among other things, Sydney time is 14 hours ahead of the east coast, so I'll be writing FROM THE FUTURE!

See you on the other side of the International Dateline!

No comments:

Post a Comment