Sunday, July 18, 2010

Living in Oz

I thought I'd post with a few interesting things I've learned so far about Australia:

  1. The people my age around here love "Mackers." Seriously, they get hamburgers like people in Rhode Island get Dunkin' Donuts iced coffees.
  2. University is college, college is high school, and school stops being called school after high school. Got it? And universities are just called unis.
  3. There are very few universities where you can actually live on campus. Everyone commutes, and if a university isn't close to you, you just don't go to it. This means universities don't have much programming or sports teams, etc. Weird?
  4. You're never on a street; you're always in it. I like that one.
  5. Enroll is spelled with only one L
  6. Everyone here knows a lot about America, which makes me feel silly because I don't know that much about Australia. Apparently, its because almost all the movies here are American - Australian movies are pretty rare. The same is true for music, actually - I recognize almost all the songs on the radio. A lot of the television is American, too, although its not familiar.
  7. Take out is take away, and they use the phrase a lot more frequently than we do in America. Even if you stop in a coffee shop on the way to work in the morning, you say you're getting take away coffee.
  8. When you have a serious, deep conversation, its called a D&M - for deep and meaningful.
  9. Everyone eats their meat well done. :(
I'll think of more as I notice them! Learning how other people live is so interesting.

Oh, and driving on the other side of the road - and walking on the other side of the sidewalk - is an experience in itself!

No comments:

Post a Comment