Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Aussie ways

Here's the latest edition of my observations about living down under:

1. It was bound to happen eventually: I have tried Vegemite. I don't think its something I am going to crave once I return home, but I've had it more than once so far, and I'll probably have it more than once more before I leave. The key is to not use very much of it and to combine it with butter; the taste is very strong! However, I can definitely see how people who grow up with it could learn to love it.
2. I can't get over how much more common lamb is here. I think I've eaten lamb at least 4 or 5 times since I've been here, including in a sandwhich from an average sandwich shop near the university!
3. Australia has a lot of Lebanese people, and almost all of them are very devout Catholics. I haven't worked out exactly why its such a popular place for immigration from Lebanon, but to quote Fr. Gabriel (the American CFR): "If you are Lebanese, you have relatives in Australia." A couple of results of this are a) you meet a lot of people named Charbel, after the greatest Lebanese saint b) non Lebanese people covet invitations to Lebanese parties, which are supposedly fabulous and c) there is a fabulous Lebanese restuarant on the same street I live on where I went just last evening for a multi-course traditional Lebanese dinner that included lots of delicious hummus, pita, tabouli, falafel, grilled meat, and other delights.
4. When you want to know how someone is, you say "How are you going?"
5. Paper sizes have names, not dimensions. 8.5x11 is A4, half that size is A5, double that size is A3, and there are a whole host of others. And everyone just know what size paper those letters signify.
6. When I went to the Bush Ball, I saw a sign that said "Caution: Wambats." I laughed. Then when we left, there was a dead wambat in the road. Don't mock signs.
7. Have I mentioned that all the school children wear uniforms? It's great.
8. All the grading in the universities is done on a bell curve, which kind of stinks. However, no one seems particularly concerned with grades, because as I've mentioned before, degrees are a very uniform commodity.
9. H is pronounced HAYT-ch.
10. To ruck up = to show up. Sure?
11. Brewing loose tea is a pretty widespread practice. Good on you, Australia (another funky little phrase!).

Finally, I'm learning to use the word "uni" like a normal Australian. I still think its weird, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment